Saturday, August 28, 2004

Onam

Onam comes once a year. Trust mallus to make a festival just for a meal... :-) well it is not really just that... but that is about all that happens nowadays. There is actually a saying in malayalam that roughly transalates to "even if you have to sell your house, you still must eat well at onam" Anyways today was onam for us. I discovered that I can actually cook decent level mallu tasting food. I cooked quite a bit and also made a pal payasam. If I can say so myself, it did turn out quite nice. Well I guess that makes me a nice "kushinikaran". If you didn't understand what that meant, well then you probably don't understand what Onam means either. In short you are not a dhothi tying, mustache sporting, mallu.

Which brings me to another point. Very few people in the country realise the difference between a lungi and a dothi. It is depresssing really when you wear one of your best white gilt edged dothis and someone walks by and says, "hey macha, lungi day huh ?" The feeling can only be compared to wearing a kurta pyjama and being mistaken for having worn white jeans.

Well that is that for onam. I hope i remember the recipies when next onam comes. :-)

ciao
Naveen

Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?